30 June 2011

on how to not sound like an idiot

Cambridge: Please don't pronounce it like the river after which it is named /ie: Cam-bridge/. Rather, pronounce as if there were an 'e' tossed in there /ie: Came-bridge/

Camille: I may get sick a lot, but pronouncing my name /Cam-ill/ makes me really feel just like that--ill.  Instead, say /Cam-eel/. That's right, like the sea creature.  The only other acceptable pronunciation is the French way.

There, now that that is settled.

Amedeo Modigliani, Young Redhead in an Evening Dress, 1918

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Uh oh. I think I may say "cam-ill."

Jourdan said...

you are thinking about Modigliani because of Midnight in Paris, aren't you? And may I say, props to Owen for pronouncing it correctly :)

Oh, and I would have texted you back but I got your message really late in the evening. I am glad you liked it.