10 September 2011

14, Or How I Am Going To Prove You Wrong

Well, I once again got asked if I was 14 tonight.  Which is probably the sixth time in the last month alone that I've gotten that. 14?

uuuuuggggghhhhh.  

Now, to all of you who would comment "Oh, Camille, you will be so grateful for that in 30 years", I have one thing to say.  You are absolutely right.  I will.  But right now, all I want is for people to take me seriously.  For people not to treat me like a little girl, but like the woman to be reckoned with that I am.  On my ride back tonight, I was trying to figure out why people place me at such a young age.  I don't think that I dress, behave, or present myself like I'm 14*.  The only thing that I could come up with is that I don't have that same hardened and closed off persona that so many of my friends and colleagues have.  I've remained a positive person, even though I know that I'm supposed to be jaded by now according to the standards of most people.  Just because I'm happy doesn't mean that I'm naive or innocent.  Trust me, I know all about the hardships that the world and life have to offer.  I know.  But in spite of it all, I manage to stay optimistic.  I wish I could say that I was sorry for seeing the best in situations and people, and for trying not to just endure life, but to enjoy it.  But I'm not.  It's like Viktor Frankl discusses in his book "Man's Search for Meaning."  The only thing that we really have complete control over in our lives is our attitude towards the situations we are in.  No one can take that from any of us.  So if having a positive attitude makes me seem so young, then I guess I'll never age.  Who knows, maybe I'll even win some award decades from now for being the first 14-year-old to ever do/become/achieve [impressive life accomplishment here].  I think I would be perfectly ok with that.


*Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

2 comments:

Janae said...

Oh Camille. I work at a junior high. And I'm at least two inches shorter than you. Believe me, I understand...

For me, it's always the same people telling me how I "look like a student." Yep, you told me that yesterday. It wasn't funny then. It's not funny now. getoverit.

Jourdan said...

I think it's also because you're tiny. That's one reason people always think I am younger-- somehow age gets equated to size/height. But lucky you and your freakish metabolism.