14 November 2012

Musings

Last night, I had to opportunity to hear Judge Thomas B. Griffith of the Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia Circuit speak.  It was a wonderful evening.  Judge Griffith spoke about faith and public service, and it was fascinating.  


There were a lot of insightful questions in the Q&A portion at the end.  The final question had to deal with giving advice and direction to 20-somethings like us (I didn't ask it, but boy was I glad that someone did!!).  I loved Judge Griffith's response: Don't lose sight of what is really important- building the Lord's kingdom, your family, and your ward.  This answer, paired with the theme of charity and service in his main lecture, really spoke to and reassured me.  


People ask me what I want to do with my life. I am always asking myself the same question.  I've known the answer all along, but just not how to apply it to a career while living the single life.  All I want is to love people, to show them their self-worth and their incredible talents and potential!!!  I see it in every person that I meet.  (which is why it hurts so much when people tell me that I make them feel otherwise) I want nothing more out of life than to be a mother and to be able to give this love to my family and to those around me.  For the moment, that is not my lot.  Last night's address reassured me that these goals, desires, and talents of mine are valid and legitimate.  


But how do I apply this in my life in a way that I can provide for my single-self now (oh, rent and bills and gas and the fact that food isn't free, you may be the things that I don't love a whole lot)?  Intellectually, I am particularly interested in the ways that art can teach, spread, and grow these values of love and self-worth.   

see the west wind move

I have much to reflect on.  
Maybe this is all cliche, but it's also the truth.

//1//2//3//4//

6 comments:

The Kitch said...

Love this post camille! I am in the exact same situation, just trying to figure out what to do in life and how to progress in my goals while living the single life. Thanks for blogging about your experience! I love being blog and art loving buddies!

Jannifer said...

Camille, I really love this post.

Ria said...

I love this post! I think you're great.

Beth said...

For a second I thought, "Wait, deep thoughts on life and fashion photography?" and then I remembered whose blog I was reading and exactly why I love you. It's perfect. And you are awesome.

Utah Girl Am I said...

Love this, C. And LOVE YOU! I'm excited to write about Judge Griffith's remarks... AFTER I finish all my homeworks... Oy...

Lindsay said...

GO ON A MISSION!!